How To Disable Your Ford MyKey®
Learn how to disable your Ford MyKey® features with this simple to follow step-by-step how to. If you need to exchange keys with someone in your household, or if you are planning on trading your car in, you’ll need to know how to disable your Ford MyKey®. Fortunately, it only takes a minute to disable your Ford MyKey® when you follow this simple guide to turning off this feature. If you experience any difficulty turning off Ford MyKey® contact Waconia Ford today.
What is Ford MyKey
The available MyKey feature allows you to configure one or more of your Ford keys to control your vehicle’s safety settings, even when you aren’t behind the wheel. Whether you’re trying to keep a teenage driver safe or reinforce better driving habits for another family member, this video shows how to use MyKey to set your vehicle’s maximum speed, radio volume limit or seatbelt alerts.
MyKey allows you to program keys with restricted vehicle modes that promote good driving habits. All but one of your keys can be configured in a restricted mode. The keys that remain unprogrammed are referred to as administrator or admin keys. Admin keys can be used to:
- Create a MyKey.
- Program configurable MyKey settings.
- Clear all MyKey features.
With an admin key, you can configure other MyKey settings after you first create a MyKey and before you use either key to restart the vehicle. You can also use the admin key to change the settings after you’ve completed the initial setup.
- You can set a vehicle speed limit. When the MyKey driver reaches the set speed, the display will show warnings, followed by an audible tone. The driver will not be able to override the set speed by fully depressing the accelerator pedal or by using cruise control.
- You can also set various vehicle speed minders so that when the MyKey driver exceeds your preselected speed, the speed will be shown in the display followed by an audible tone.
- The audio system can be set to a maximum volume of 45%. When the MyKey driver attempts to exceed the volume limit, a message will show in the display. The speed-sensitive or speed-compensated automatic volume control will also be disabled.
- You can enable the always on setting for Advance Trac or traction control, 911 Assist or Emergency Assist, or the do not disturb feature, if your vehicle is equipped with these features. When always on is enabled for these features, the MyKey driver will be unable to switch them off.
WARNING: Do not set a MyKey maximum speed limit to a limit that will prevent the driver from maintaining a safe speed in relation to posted speed limits and prevailing road conditions. The driver is always responsible for driving in accordance with local laws and prevailing conditions. Failure to do so could result in accident or injury.
Once a MyKey is enabled, it will contain the following default MyKey settings, which cannot be adjusted by the admin key.
- The safety belt reminder will be turned on, and the audio system will mute when the front seat passengers’ safety belts are not fastened.
- The low fuel or low charge warning will activate earlier, giving the MyKey user more time to refuel or recharge.
- Driver assist features, if equipped on your vehicle, will be forced on. These may include parking aids and Blind Spot Information System (BLIS®) with Cross Traffic Alert.
- If your vehicle is equipped with satellite radio, restrictions on adult content will be turned on automatically.
Creating a MyKey
- Insert the key you want to program into the ignition. If your vehicle is equipped with a push-button start, place the intelligent access key fob into the backup slot.
- Switch the ignition on.
- Access the main menu on the information display controls and select Settings, then MyKey by pressing OK or the > button.
- Press OK or the > button to select Create MyKey.
- When prompted, hold the OK button until you see a message prompting you to label the key as a MyKey. After the key is labeled as a MyKey, it will be restricted the next time it is used to start the vehicle.
- You have successfully created a MyKey. Be sure to label it so you can distinguish it from the admin keys.
Clearing all MyKeys
To clear or change your MyKey settings, switch the ignition on using an admin key or fob. You can adjust the MyKey settings with the information display control on the steering wheel.
To clear all MyKeys of all MyKey settings, press the left arrow button to access the main menu and follow these steps:
- Scroll to “Settings” and press the OK button.
- Scroll to “MyKey” and press the OK button.
- Scroll to “Clear MyKey” and press and old the OK button until the “All MyKeys Cleared” message displays.